Friday, May 5: 8:45 am – 5 pm
Join us for the 8th Annual Wintergreen Energy Co-op Green Energy retreat. This year’s retreat is co-hosted with Wintergreen Studios and Sustainable Eastern Ontario. Read all about it, and register here.
With the advent of the Ontario Climate Change Action plan there is a unique window of opportunity to take action to assist vulnerable households and communities to reduce energy costs and Green House Gas (GHG) emissions. At a time when so many people are already struggling to pay household utility costs, how do we begin to protect low income households from greater costs and reduce the financial impact of cap and trade?
What are the challenges and opportunities in reducing green house gas emissions in affordable housing? During this year’s annual Green Energy Retreat, co-hosted by Wintergreen Studios, Sustainable Eastern Ontario, and the Wintergreen Renewable Energy Co-operative, the panel, keynote address, and small group discussions will focus on these questions:
- What is the opportunity within the Kingston and Frontenac region to create a pilot program for social and cooperative housing that addresses GHG reduction through energy retrofits?
- How can we promote the delivery of deep thermal energy retrofits to the highest priority households within affordable housing stock?
- What building blocks are already in place and what barriers exist to achieving affordable deep thermal retrofits?
- What processes are advisable for the evaluation of energy use and the design of retrofits for affordable housing?
- Who will deliver the retrofits?
- Who will fund the retrofits?
Melody Tomkow will be the facilitator for the retreat. There will be a panel discussion in the morning, followed by a keynote address. After lunch, we will have small group break-out sessions, and we will end the day with a preliminary action plan for Kingston and area.